Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I Missed my Disfunctional Band Family... my very Disfunctional Band Family


1-11-10
Coming back from the break is always fun for me.  I get a sense of belonging while I walk around Northland’s hallways.  I get to say hi to familiar faces… or just do the awkward head nod thing at least.  I know where the rooms are, and I don’t get lost.  Today I even ran into my roommate and close friend Kailin.  It’s really not that hard considering I’m at a college that’s smaller than my high school.
Anyway… before the break ended the Pride band had a gig at the UND hockey game.  Some people even came back earlier than they would have to play in it.  When we were on the bus my friends Dee Dee and Sarah said they had the warm fuzzies.  I laughed, but then they explained, "You know that feeling you get when you come home to your family?  That warm feeling?  That’s what it feels like being back with the band."
It’s so true.  At first I just nodded and agreed only somewhat.  It wasn’t until the whole band started jamming out to Frankenstein (the first song we played) that I really felt it.  I don’t like being in the Pride of the North band just for getting the chance to play the tuba… although that is a huge part of it.  It’s really the people.  From my first day being a part of it, I felt like I belonged.  There’s always someone to talk to, someone to make you laugh, or someone to come pick you up and take you somewhere because you’re out of gas.
It’s hard to explain that feeling I got other than using the words warm fuzzies… as cheesy as it is.  It was sort of like going back to camp.  Only these are people I get to hang out with for the rest of the semester.  I love playing in the band, but I love the band too.  The game was also enjoyable because the Sioux won. Go Sioux!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment