Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Ride of the Season

3-29-10
I rode my bicycle tonight for the first time this year.  It was great.  I always love the first ride the best, even the part about the sore muscles afterword.  At night’s the best time to ride too.  There’s no one around and I can sing out loud to my ipod if I want… of course there are a few awkward moments where I do run into people listening to me singing my lungs out.  They either laugh or give me strange looks, but who cares, right?
I look down and see my tire rapidly spinning as it casts a shadow against the sidewalk.  I watch my feet pedal as I see one high top tennis shoe disapear as the other one reapears on the other side.  I am flying down the street.  I close my eyes for a breif moment and feel the wind brush against the sides of my face… then I open them again to make sure I don’t run into anything.  I stand up on the pedals and give a few great pushes before letting myself glide down the sidewalk.  Music from my ipod plays in my ear and my legs pedal to the beat.  Upbeat songs encourage me to pedal faster, to push harder.  Slower songs I hang back a bit and enjoy the ride.
It’s a bit funny how much I actually enjoy riding a bike.  Kelsey came with me tonight on her rollerblades… poor girl.  I think I might have almost killed her.  I had to fill my air up with tires so we went all the way to the Holiday gas station and back.  That’s kind of far for rollar blades.  Getting there was pretty easy.  We were going the same pace since I had no air in my tires, but once I got the air I wanted to go fast.  I kept speeding ahead and then waiting for Kelsey to catch up or taking detours around blocks.  It was great though.  I wish I would have taken out my bike a little earlier this year.  It’s been nice for a while now.  Well, no use thinking about that I suppose.  There’s still lots of oppurtunites ahead… I know how I’m getting to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment