Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Eyes and Ears and Mouth and Nose


4-30-09
Once again I’m going to use the coolie for something.  I think it’s the perfect example for sense because there’s all sorts of sights, sounds, smells, textures, and even tastes when you inhale.  Not to mention the fact that it’s probably my favorite place in the entire universe.
When I first get to "The Spot," as I affectionally call it, the first thing my senses pick up is the sound of the water trickling it’s way through the rocks.  You can hear the water twist and turn as it fights it’s way through the cracks in the rocks and over the tops of them.  I think hearing is my favorite sense, more than likely because of music.  My ears are in tune and I’m constantly listening to the world around me.  Of course, paying attention and registering things are a completely different thing entirely.
The next thing I notice is the smell.  I adore the smell of the coolie.  I don’t know how to describe what it smells like, but I’m pretty sure everyone knows what I’m talking about.  It’s the water I think, because lake’s smell like it too.  There’s sort of a sewagey smell, but it’s not overwhelming.  One day I will find a way to describe it.  If anyone has any ideas for me, please share them.  Sometimes I can actually taste the smell, but I don’t mind.  Like I said, I love that scent.  It’s my favorite in the world because of all the memories the coolie holds for me.  Not to mention The Spot is where I go to relax and quite often write or do my homework.  Scent and Smell are my strongest senses I think.  I can tell if someone’s put something different in a cookie or cake recipe.  I’ve been able to do this since I was little.
As I part the trees to get to the spot my eyes take in the scenery.  A man made dam is spread out before me.  The trees with every shade of green hide a small little hideaway that for one moment is all my own.  Cement chunks spread across the water while a few fallen trees are toppled over them.  The sky is either a light pink, deep blue, or black with glittering stars depending on how late I got there.  The water glistens and sparkles whether it’s reflecting sunshine or moonlight.  Small bugs and dragonflies buzz around bouncing off the water.  I think I depend on my eyesight quite a bit.  I think everybody does.  As a diabetic, I’m concerned with going blind.  I can’t imagine what life would be like if suddenly all the colors disappeared.
Lastly as I carefully work my way over the water across the wobbly rocks, I take a seat on my favorite rock.  It feels rough underneath my bottom, but eventually everything numbs and I don’t care anymore.  I’m able to take in the scene and feel the usual comfort that comes across.  Touch is the last sense I notice.  The only times it’s really present in my life is when I’m snuggling up with my blanket after a hard day or early in the morning when I don’t want to get up.  I love the feeling of a nice shower either to cool down or warm up.  And then of course I notice it if I’m in pain or uncomfortable, but that’s pretty obvious.
I think it’s great that humans and animals have these senses to observe the world around them.  It helps us observe, get in touch with, and become one with our universe.  Even if someone is missing or lacking in one sense they have all the others to make up for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment