Thursday, August 12, 2010

Celebrating the 30s and the 40s


5-16-10
This year is the Kegs Drive-In’s 75 Anniversary.  Holy smokes, is that place old.  Anyway, my mom had this great idea to celebrate it this year.  Every month the Kegs is going to celebrate a different decade.  This month it was the thirties and the forties together.  All the employees that worked on Saturday got to dress up in costumes.  I was Shirley Temple.  Kailin was Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz.  Kelsey was Amelia Earhart.  Alex wore one of Red River’s South Pacific costumes to be a soldier, and Kayla was supposed to be Cleopatra from the 1930′s movie.  Her costume never came in though, but she still managed to do her hair and makeup.  Everyone looked amazing.
I had so much fun putting together my costume.  My mom and I found a denim jumper at a thrift store and she hemmed it for me to just below my butt.  Then I bought a plaid shirt to wear under it with some black flats with a bow.  It came together nicely, but my favorite part was my hair.  On Friday night Kailin put curlers in my hair to get my hair to curl.  I was a little concerned because my hair is so long.  Shirley Temple has short hair, but it worked.  My hair curled to epic proportions, as Kailin put it.  I bobbie pinned it up to make it look shorter and then put a bow in it.  Then I doused my head in half a can of hairspray.  I didn’t want it coming out half way through my shift.  Unfortunately, my shoes were too small and my feet were killing me by the end of the day.  That’s okay though I guess.
We were busy too.  That’s because we had a sale of twenty-five cent hamburgers, which was crazy.  Orders were coming in left and right for six to ten hamburgers.  Someone even called in and ordered twenty-four of them.  I cooked on Friday and we had the sale then too.  I never want to do something like that again.  It was crazy.  Unfortunately, there’s still five or so more decades to go.  My uncle said we’re not doing the seventy-five cent hamburgers again though.
We all had fun dressing up.  Except, I’m not sure about Alex.  He’s not quite as big of a geek as the rest of us.  He did consent to taking pictures though, which we did after we closed.  Some of the pictures turned out so cute.  I especially like the one with all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment