Thursday, August 12, 2010

Barbies


6-10-10
Oh, I could write about Barbie’s forever at the moment.  It’s my new obession, another thing I can add to mountains of things I’ve collected over the years.  They are so pretty.  Most dolls are I guess.  Kailin and I have spent a great deal of our time looking on barbiecollector.com and ebay for Barbies.  She’s already ordered a bunch, but I have to wait until my next paycheck comes in.
Kailin’s really interested in the collector Barbies.  They’re pretty, but for some reason I’m taking more interest in the toy Barbies.  They have this series out right now called "I can be…"  It has Barbie in all sorts of different careers, which I think is awesome.  I think it’s great that Barbie can do anything or be anything so then little girls can aspire to be whatever they want.  I bought a race car driver and a bride.  I don’t think the bride necessarily belongs in the series.  There’s also a Becky doll that I want.  She’s the one in the wheelchair.  I used to have her when I was little, but I cut her hair super short and the chair broke because it was crammed in along with a bunch of toys into a box for storage.
I’m trying to convince my mom to give me her old dolls, but she won’t budge.  I told her I’d keep them on a stand and put them in a glass case on a shelf.  And still she won’t let me have them.  It’s not like they’re doing any good in a box somewhere.  She hasn’t even looked at them since we went through them when I was six and she gave me some of her old doll cloths she made.  I’m thinking about asking for them for Christmas and seeing what happens, but if they were my dolls I’d want to keep them too.  Of course, I wouldn’t have them stuffed away in a box in my parents attick.
There are some collector dolls I want.  For instance, there’s Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Supergirl, and Wonderwoman dolls.  They fuel my geekiness.  Then of course, the first doll I’m going to buy with my new paycheck is a Oktoberfest Barbie.  She’s really pretty in some sort of festive German dress.  Then there’s also a Princess of the Vikings doll and a Noweigen doll in a Bunad.  I think that’s how you spell it… the traditional Norweigen dress.
I think it’s interesting to compare the dolls over the years.  Not just the style, but the make up and the bodies.  The modern day Barbie doll is now much more realitic than the ones I used to play with.  Her boobs are no longer like size D.  It looks like she could be a C or even B.  And her hips are wider too and it doesn’t look like she’s sucking it in so much.  I love that Mattel did that.  Although, Barbie still looks like she eneretted some very good genes or else had a few tummy tucks.  I think it’s funny how the makeup changes.  The Barbies I used to play with had bright blue eye shadow up to their eyebrows with hot pink lipstick.  Now, they use more natural tones.
So this Barbie thing could either be a phase that will die pretty quickly or it could be something that carries me throughout my life.  It’s hard to say at this point.  My grandma has a collection of Barbies.  I went over there the other day and talked dolls with her for about an hour.  I showed her the Oktoberfest one I want.  She thought it was gorgeous.  At any rate, this is something that can keep me distracted for a while and give me a hobby.  Action figure collecting is great, but this keeps me in touch with my girly side.

No comments:

Post a Comment