Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Large Group Discussions


2-25-09
You know, I never realized how much I actually hate talking to large groups of people, until we did peer review the other day.  I just can’t get my mouth the push out the words I want to say.  I don’t have this problem when I’m on the stage, and speech class seemed to go okay in high school.  Small Group Communications went smoothly as well.
There were times I started to open my mouth to say things, but nothing came out.  Then I’d just close my mouth again and I’d look like an idiot.  What is it going to be like when it’s time for my paper to be reviewed?  I don’t think I’m going to be able to explain what I was trying to say if I wrote it wrong, and then I won’t get help with how it should be written.
This is far too complicated.  I don’t like reading in class either, and that’s been since elementary school.  My fifth grade teacher used to have us read out loud in class, one paragraph at a time.  We didn’t have the option of not reading.  She’d just start at one end of the room and work her way to the other.  I’d always sit there and count the paragraphs until I got to the paragraph I was going to read.  Then I’d read that paragraph in my head over and over again until it was my turn to read.  Needless to say, I didn’t learn much in fifth grade.  The other day in Comp class we were reading A Modest Proposal out loud.  I thought I was going to be sick when Jen asked me to read.  Thankfully, we had the option of saying no, which I did.
The weird thing is, I talk all the time.  I babble and ramble on about anything, everything, or nothing.  So it’s not that I don’t like to talk.  I don’t really know what the problem is, but it could be that I just don’t want to sound stupid.  Whatever my issue is, I’m going to get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment