Thursday, August 12, 2010

If I Ran a Business...


2-19-10
If I ran a business, I would be dependable.  I would show up on time for the shifts I scheaduled myself for.  If I told someone I’d be in at noon, I’d be there at noon.  I wouldn’t come in some time around five with messy hair and sleep lines all over my face.  If a worker got sick and couldn’t come into work, I would make sure to have their shift covered even if I had to come in myself… I might not be happy about it, but that’s my responsibility.  I would not buy things that I don’t need to save money for things that my store actually needed.
I would know my store inside and out.  I would keep track of all the changes I made from day to day.  If an employee asked me a question, I would not simply answer, "I don’t know.  I just work here."  I would work just as hard as I expect my employees to work.  I would not simply sit in the basement on the computer playing solitare.  I would also not lecture someone how to properly make a penut buster parfeit during the middle of a rush if the employee has been working there for a year and a half.  That can be done after the costomers are helped.
I would care about the costumers.  I would not brag to them about how much money I put into the store as explaination as to why the prices are so expensive.  I would not even the raise the prices to such ridiculous levels.  If a costumer was on the phone with a complaint, I would certainly not yell at them and hang up the phone.  Oh, and of course I would never stop to talk to a friend for a half an hour while a huge group of choir students were waiting in line expecting to be waited on. And if someone ordered something first, I would take care of their oder first. I would not wait until after I’ve helped the three people behind them.
I would be considerate of my employees.  I would yell at them as little as necissarily and not scold them for five minutes for such small things.  If someone asked me not to call them home slice, I would stop calling them home slice, and not treat it like a joke and laugh while continuing to use such a ridiculous nick name.  I would require every employee to have to wear the same uniform.  I wouldn’t require the girls to wear aprons while the guys don’t have to, espeically if my reason is because the girls look cute in aprons.  If I promised someone a raise, I would make sure that person got their raise on their next pay check.  I would also let the employees charge their meals.  It’s not like they’d be getting it for free.  I would not swear about past employees, especially if it’s the "f word," around current employees.  And I would especially not complain about an employee to another employee, especially if the two employees happen to be roommates.
…Work is so much fun, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment