Friday, December 17, 2010

We Wish You a Merry Tuba Christmas

Now, I was going to write about this last week, but it slipped my mind.  I haven't actually done as much writting as I'd like to have these past couple months.  I mean what you read in my blog is pretty much it.  There is a story I've been working on, but I haven't written too much for it.  I'm not sure if it's writter's block or just simply not writting.  Anyway... Saturday was Tuba Christmas.

For those of you who don't know, Tuba Christmas is a festival where a bunch of tubas get together and play Christmas songs.  This year was it's thirty-seventh year in existance and it was started by a man named Harvey Phillips.  I'm sad to say that he died recently.  He was one of my heros, even though I didn't know too much about him.  I had a couple of his CDs though and he's one of two famous tuba players that I can actually name.  The other one being Oystein Baadsvik.

So we all gathered together for a quick rehersal- donuts were served before hand during registration- and played through all the music once or twice.  Then we went to the mall and played for an audiece.  I swear, the audience keeps getting bigger each year.  So does the amount of tuba players so I guess that makes sense.  I dressed up all festive like- green and red with a matching elf hat.  Some guy put lights around is baritone, which I was going to do but then I couldn't figure out a way to get them to stay without leaving tape residue.  We all played our merry little tuba hearts out.  It was so much fun.  As you all know, I love playing the tuba.  To be truthful I miss it... a lot.  I can't wait to start playing again next semester.  I guess we're doing a stage show, so that will be great.  I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment