Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Death

Blunt title I suppose.  Anway... I took a Humanities class a year or so ago, and we were asked to decide if the class was about death or if it was about life.  Now, this was when I started heading downhill and didn't really go to class all that much, so I missed a whole lot about what the class was actually about.  But from what I managed to absorb, I decided life.  I mean for the most part we talked about the different kinds of arts and the things humans do to make life more interesting.  In a way, humanities is about death too.  Artists do what they do because they love doing, but it is a way for us to remember them after they're gone as well.  But mostly it is about life and what to do with it.


I recently read an amazing book by John Green titled Looking for Alaska.  It made me laugh at the funny parts, and it also made me blink back tears.  You could argue that this book was about the whole death/life concept, but once again I chose life.  I think it was more about how the life still goes on for the living when a loved one dies.  It's hard, but life still goes on.  Grieving is good.  Finding and having closure is important too.  Without giving too much away, this book made me think... a lot.  I thought about religion more than I have in a long time, particularly Buddhism.  I wondered about if people's essence goes somewhere when it dies, or if we just rot in the ground.  I asked my science teacher once if energy can't be created or destroyed, what happens when people die?  He said that our bodies become food for maggots and whatever and so we turn into chemical energy.  This book also explained that concept, but added to it.  If energy can't be destroyed, neither can we.  Our body will just take different forms and different shapes, but our energy will live on.


It hurts when we loose someone close to us.  There is a hole in hearts that will never be filled by anything else again.  Over time we may adjust to living our lives with that hole, but it will always be there.  That person will never be in our lives again.  But I think it's important, after the grieving and finding closure, to keep living.  Never forget that special person, but keep living life to the fullest.  Get all you can out of anything and everything.  Don't be afraid to be laughed at or get hurt, because then you will get nothing out of life.  Love those around you, especially.  Your friends are important.  Good friends will be there for you to lean on.  Try not to live in the past, but in the present.  Focus on who is here on this earth to and cherish now because you may not get the chance later.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with basically all of your points in this. Friends are very important to have and I'm lucky to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete