Monday, November 29, 2010

Words

I want to write about my blog title for a bit- words.  I believe in the power words, and I think they're more powerful than some realize.  I mean, words can do so much more than simply communicate.  They can hurt, move, pursuad, confuse, inform, inspire, and comfort.  They can create an angry mob.  They can rip deeply into a person's heart if said with anger.  A poet who finds the right words can bring a reader to tears.  I can't possibly count the ammount of times I've cried at a sad moment in a good book.  Sometimes we can't seem to find the right words.  Like when one has to explain to their boss why they were late for three days in a row or even telling the guy who sits next to you in Spainish class that you'd like to go to a movie or something later.

I often think about the marvel of language and how lost the human species would be without it.  It's so easy to share our thoughts and feelings because of language.  How else would we do it though?  There was a time before language existed, and I can't even imagine.  I mean, I think in words.  My brain thinks out complete setences like, Today I need to go to the store, or Why the heck did I do that?  That was stupid.  What do people who've never known language think in?  Pictures?  I'd assume but I guess there's no real way to know for sure.

I did a project for art class one time.  It was a bunch of words written on a piece of paper.  Most of them were random words that popped in my head.  And then on top them with black paint I wrote the words, "JUST WORDS."  I was trying to say that words don't matter out of context.  That a radom word on a piece of paper, taken out of a sentence, is just a bunch of random symbols from the alphabet put together to form syllables.  But I don't believe in that anymore.  A single word can inspire so much.  What comes to mind when you see the word "rose"?  Do you just hear the sounds the letters make?  More than likely not.  I for one picture a rose in my head and then my brain goes to valentine's day and romance.  It's all about the connotation.

I love words.  I love putting them together to tell stories, to poetically describe a sunset or wilting flowers.  To quote George Carlin, "They're my work. They're my play.  They're my passion."  And maybe they're not my work, not yet at least.  But they definitely are my play and my passion.  I keep myself entertained with word- talking with others, laughing at actors in a movie creatively spewing out words, creating.  I keep myself sane with words- journal out the thoughts in my head that keep bumping into each other and clouding my thoughts.  And I think they are my passion, as close I've got to true passion anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment